“True Love” – 2 Sam. 9
Questions for discussion/reflection:
- David doesn’t act like a typical political leader: rather than eliminating the threat to his power, he shows Mephibosheth kindness.
- What was the key factor that guided David toward kindness over hostility?
- What leads you to show uncommon, unexpected kindness?
- How might your commitment to Jesus and his way of life move you to show kindness to others?
- Reflect on this episode from Mephibosheth’s perspective. How do you think he felt when David sought him out?—when David treated him with kindness, dignity, and generosity? How might God have used this circumstance to work in his life?
- David’s demonstration of love toward Mephibosheth wasn’t accidental, but intentional: he went looking for someone to bless, ironically from among his enemy’s house (v 1). This is what God did for us (Rom. 5:6-8). Prayerfully reflect:
- Is there an enemy to whom you can show God’s love? What might this look like?
- To whom else is God calling you to show loving-kindness?
- To whom have you made a commitment to love that you have neglected or failed to live up to? How can you show renewed commitment to love them?