Title and Text: “Attitude Check” – Philippians 2:1-11
- In what situations do you most need an attitude check? (In other words, when do you find it most difficult to follow the example of Christ?)
- The key statement in this passage is verse 5: “Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus.” Is this verse best understood to refer back to vv 1-4 or to introduce vv 6-11? How might relate both sections together?
- Try to summarize Christ’s “mind” described in vv 6ff in just one word. Share the word you chose and why you chose it.
- Think of vv 6-11 as having the shape of a parabola: in vv 6-8 the movement is downward (incarnation, suffering, death), then in vv 9-11 the movement is upward (resurrection, exaltation). How is this movement instructive for us as we seek to imitate Christ?
- What aspect of the attitude that Jesus embodied in his life most challenges you? What aspect of his attitude and example most challenges your church’s life and witness?
- Part of the message of this passage is that we can only hope to imitate the mind of Christ together. We need one another. Ask a person or small group in which you participate to help you check your attitude when needed, in a creative and constructive way.